Choose sustainable materials (graphic substrates, carpet, exhibitry, etc.). Opt for materials that are durable, reusable, renewable, recycled, recyclable, sustainably sourced, and/or clean to produce.
Encourage the museum and printing industries to prioritize sustainability.
- Demand will lead to supply. Stay current on the greenest materials and develop resource inventory of known “green” products.
- Include sustainability goals in our specifications manuals for fabrication contractors.
- When sustainable materials are not available, prioritize durability.
- Choose materials that are cleaner to produce and have no/low VOC off-gassing.
- Confirm that vendors are adhering to guidelines concerning chemicals, waste, fumes, etc.
- Retrofit existing exhibitry when possible.
- Consider the life-cycle of what we design/build. Ask questions about how our products can have a second life after their primary usage. Consistently ask, how can we keep our products out of landfills?
- Choose vendors with green practices, and request that they do all they can to prevent waste (reduce, reuse, recycling/compost.
- Be efficient with design to maximize material yields out of sheet good sizes and available product dimensions.